As of March 3, 2016, the Iraqi Trademark Office has issued new directives aiming to streamline and expedite the registration process. Below are the new directives:
- Obligatory search before trademark registration has now been adopted with each class of goods or services to be searched separately with official request. The authorities confirmed that the time frame to conduct the official search will be 10 working days.
• Depending upon the official search report, the trademark can be progressed to registration or a negative report can be challenged at the court of law.
• The TMO has discontinued the practice of insisting on Arabic Transliteration to be included in the logo of the marks which are in non-Arabic languages.
• The Registrar will continue accepting the new applications without the POA while the same can be filed belatedly within NON-EXTENDABLE SIX months from the filing date at no extra fees.
• For recordal of assignment, change of name/address, mergers and license; all requisite documents are to be submitted in the original at the time of filing. According to the current practice the original documents could be filed at a later stage after filing.